Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Reading Notes: Russia, Part B

The Soldier and the Vampire-

Stories, like this one, with strange rituals and ways of killing supernatural beings always appeal to me. I really like how the soldier is practically a nobody, just a really brave guy. I'm not sure how I could retell the story though. Perhaps I could tell it from the warlock's perspective as he interacts with the soldier, and have his inner dialogue being very prideful and cocky. That is until his undoing at the end.

The Two Corpses-

This story reminds me of Tolkien's "The Hobbit" when the trolls spend too much time arguing about how they will eat The dwarves and get turned to stone. I wonder if he got some inspiration from this tale. I could make this story quite a fun one. The corpse, for being warlocks, seem to be pretty absent minded. And I'd like to expand on their dialogue a bit.

Image: The only way to kill the warlock is burning his body on a pyre. Source: Pixabay

Source: Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston (1887).

No comments:

Post a Comment