Tuesday, August 22, 2017

My Favorite Place - Black Mountain and Philmont Scout Ranch

Tooth of Time Mountain
Credit goes to Eclectek from Wikipedia (March 25, 2006); Source: Wikimedia

      This past summer, I spent three months in a valley under the shadow of the Black Mountain in New Mexico. This camp is a part of a place called Philmont Scout Ranch. While there, I worked as a PC (Program counselor) helping kids forge and shoot black powder rifles. I also lived as someone in 1870 would've. That means no electricity, running water, or refrigeration. It was tough, but incredibly fun, not to mention the benefits it provided for my mental health. I couldn't find any shots of the mountain itself, but I've got various mountain peaks around that I also hiked up and summited this past summer.

                                                        Picture of Baldy Mountain from Copper Park camp

Credit goes to AwBaseball25 (24 June 2007); Source: Wikimedia




Left is a photo of a trail by our cabin, and below is the cabin we lived in. Credit goes to me, Collin. (June 6, 2017)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am going to have to tell my husband about this camp, Collin (he was seriously into scouting back in the day). There is a gun-smithing program here where we live in Person County NC: Gunsmithing Diploma. And the name of that mountain is fabulous: Tooth of Time Mountain. That sounds like a story-to-be-told right there. Very cool! You will find lots of great mountain legends in the Native American stories from out West; maybe you will want to do a project about that for class! There are some great Native American story resources online: Freebookapalooza: Native America ... so keep that in mind when you start brainstorming story topics in Week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so cool that you spent time at camp this summer. This place looks beautiful! I love the mountains so much, but I have never been to this specific area. Your pictures are so great that I almost feel like I am there and I am sure that it's even better in person.

    ReplyDelete