Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Storybook Favorites

The Raven: Trickster or Hero?
https://sites.google.com/site/theraventricksterorhero/

This story book immediately caught my attention mostly because I love corvids (a bird group to which the raven belongs). So I did not hesitate to click the link and begin reading. The introduction was gripping, as it is written through the perspective of the Raven. From the image choices I could tell the stories were going to be of native American origin, which I had no qualms about as I love native folklore stories. The stories were also consistently well written and interesting. The images were well chosen and intriguing (I'll add my favorite below). The dark background with the blood red hyperlinks also match the dark and angry tone of the stories and narrator. Very well designed storybook.
Raven Steals the Light, by Bill Reid (1984). Web Source: History Museum.
Creatures of Irish Lore

This storybook caught my attention because Irish history and lore fascinate me and I'm always interested in learning more. The immediate detail I noticed was the use of the green background and good choice of font. The cover page does an excellent job at conjuring images and emotions I attach to Ireland in a quick moment. The myths in the stories were nothing new to me, but I none the less still enjoyed reading about them. The introduction didn't immediately catch my attention, per say. However, it did lend a very good anchor on which to tie the other stories together (that being the old man retelling of his encounters with various fairies and ghouls).

The "Bad" Guys... Their Side of the Story

Image Info: Cain & Abel
                                                                            Image Source: TVTropes Website
This storybook was interesting to me because I'm a big fan of the Bible, but also because it offered a unique perspective. This storybook explores the so called bad guys and their motivations. I like this idea because it is very easy to become a "bad guy" and understanding how these individuals fell may help to escape a similar fate. I was a bit disappointed that the author chose to use stories from a non-biblical source, as many details were added that kind of change the entire meaning, which in my mind removes the validity of the lessons being taught. At any rate, the writing is still unique as the author sets the scene of a group therapy session with the bad guys talking through their problems.












No comments:

Post a Comment